- Articles 330A, 332A to be inserted.
- Article 334 to be modified.
- Amendment through Article 368 of the Constitution of India.
- Voting in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
- If passed, WRB to get the President’s Asset.
- To become a law and part of the Indian Constitution.
- Debatable – if WRB needs ratification by 50% of the states of India.
But when seen in the context of federal structure of power-sharing norms, WRB doesn’t need ratification by state legislatures.
- WRB doesn’t affect any Constitutional executive power structure given to state legislatures.
- WRB doesn’t affect any legislative power distribution between the Central Govt and states.
- WRB doesn’t affect States’ representation in the Parliament (in Rajya Sabha).
Implementation of Women’s Reservation Act
- Only after the next delimitation exercise.
- Next delimitation based on first Census after 2026.
- Census 2021 data to be used in this case.
- Central Govt has yet to conduct the 2021 Census – delayed due to Covid.