1948: Israel declares independence
- British mandate for Palestine ends.
- Israel declares to be a sovereign independent state.
- Israel – Arab war – 1948/49.
- Arab countries ally with the Palestinian State.
- Israel emerges winner | controls large territory of the area.
- Thousands of Palestinians were forced to flee.
1956 & The Suez Canal Crisis
- Suez Canal – vital trade route | operational since 1869.
- 193 Kms long – connects the Mediterranean and Red Sea.
- Shortest shipping route from Europe to Asia.
- Israel-Egypt war post Egypt nationalizes the canal.
- Forces of Israel, Britain and France invade Egypt.
- Ends with Peace Deal signed | backed by USSR and USA.
1967: The Six-Day War
- The outcome: Israel’s control of the area grows.
- Gaza Strip, Sinai, the West Bank, the Golan Heights, and East Jerusalem.
- War began – with Egypt’s continued blockade of shipping into the Gulf of Aqaba.
- Israel invaded Egypt – June 1967 | completely overpower the Egypt-Jordan forces.
- Thousands of Palestinians are again displaced.
1973: When Arabs attack Israel
- Surprise attack by Arab nations in Oct 1973.
- Isael, with help from the US and other allies, pushes it back finally.
1987: First Intifada
- Palestinian uprising (Intifada) begins| continued till 1993.
- Main areas – West Bank, Gaza, and Israel.
- Fatalities on both sides – Israel and Palestine.
2000: Second Intifada
- Continued till 2005 | hundreds of dead on both sides.
- Ariel Sharon’s visit to Jerusalem results in riots | followed by second Intifada.
2006: Militant group Hamas comes to the center-stage of the conflict
- Hamas emerges winner in 2006 Gaza elections.
2008: Israel hits back after Hamas attack
- Dec – Rocket attacks on Isael by Hamas militants.
- Israel’s counter-offensive for 3 weeks.
- Fatalities| 13 Israeli soldiers | 1100+ Palestinians.
2012: Israel’ big win
- Nov – kills Hamas’ military chief Ahmed Jabari.
- Fatalities | 6 Israeli soldiers | 150+ Palestinians.
2014: the year of big fatality numbers
- 7-week conflict.
- Israel – 6 civilians + 67 soldiers | 2200+ Palestinians in Gaza.
- Hamas kidnaps and kills 3 Israeli teenagers |in response Israel attacks Gaza.