The Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) means,
- The US has direct access to 9 strategic military bases.
- Directly overlooking the South China Sea.
- Multiple theaters of war engagement with China as direct target
- Access for pre-positioning of military equipment.
- US can build its own temporary military facilities in case of a military conflict (here with China)
- Agreement to build runways for fighter jets.
- Agreement to build military housing,
- Agreement to build fuel storage facilities.
- Joint training – US and Philippines forces.
- The US can rotate its troops in between all 9 bases.
Access to bases – not permanent – but temporary – in contingency cases – like military conflicts.
The EDCA China Angle
- An answer to increased Chinese aggressiveness in the South China Sea and increasing North Corean belligerence.
- To protect Taiwan’s independence from China’s accession threats and a possible war.
- To help other US allies in the area, Japan, and South Corea against Chinese and North Korean aggression.
- Signed on April 28, 2014 – in Quezon City, the Philippines.
- Access to five Philippine military bases.
- Location/names of five bases revealed – March 18, 2016.
The Accelerated EDCA
- 2014 EDCA extended on February 1, 2023.
- US to get access to four new strategic Philippine military bases.
- Location/name of four new bases revealed – April 3, 2023.