1. September 12, 1996 – Women Reservation Bill – Tabled BY H D DEVE Gowda government.
- Protests led by OBC MPs across party lines.
- Demanded reservation for OBC women.
- The United Front coalition government was surviving because of the OBC support base (JD, SP, RJD).
- The Select Committee report on it said to be extending the OBC reservation once it was made part of the Indian Constitution.
2. July 20, 1998 – Women Reservation Bill Tabled Again – NDA Government Led by Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Opposed by RJD, SP and some OBC MPs from other parties including ruling BJP.
- Also demanded representation women from minority communities.
3. December 23, 1999 – Bill Tabled Again – NDA Government Led by Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Opposed by RJD And SP, the parties with OBC support base.
- Said the bill was illegal. Demanded OBC and minority quota as well.
- Many OBC MPs from Congress were also opposed to the bill.
4. May 6, 2008 – Women Reservation Bill – UPA Government – In Rajya Sabha.
- Passed by Rajya Sabha – March 9, 2010 | Never introduced in Lok Sabha.
- Internal differences among UPA Coalition | cabinet ministers.
- SP | RJD – Quota Within Quota – OBC Reservation – also demanded quota for minorities.
- While then ruling Congress then had ruled it out.
- Sonia Gandhi – No need to give separate quota. Communities\caste groups can be accommodated within the 33% quota bracket.
NDTV: There are those who are asking for OBC quota, minority quota. Do you feel bill needs relooking?
Sonia Gandhi: To those who ask such questions, I would say this: Who is going to prevent you from giving seats to Muslim woman, OBC women, a seat in 33 per cent? Who is going to prevent them from doing it? Right?
- Union Law Minister Veerappa Moily – no Constitutional provision for political reservation to OBCs | Courts cab strike down | Census Data Gap – no OBC headcount.
5. September 19, 2023 – Women Reservation Bill – tabled by Narendra Modi led NDA government
- I.N.D.I.A. including Congress now push demand OBC reservation.